You can complain about the dull times in college, but there is a way to…
If you are interested in writing book reviews that keep the audience on the edge of their seats, you need to know how to provoke their curiosity. Learning the basics of classical structuring and formatting might be tedious, but it is always good to have an example of book review at hand to stay grounded. As soon as you have made observations on a particular literary work, it is time for you to look through the notes and unify the statements that you have written into a single thesis. It will help you state the purpose of the review for the readers.
At first, you may notice that the opinions of the author prevail over personal assumptions, but there is nothing to worry about. The relative analysis of the work depends on the focus that you wish to choose. If this is about the writer’s contribution to literature, make sure that his statements stand out prominently and do not forget to use quotes in the course of the paper. However, if the target audience is looking forward to reading a book review that is overflowing with subjective analysis and your perspective, do not hesitate to give them what they need. Make sure that you have structured the work according to the observations that have been made previously. There is nothing wrong with creating a clear statement on the author’s work if it is grounded research with structured paragraphs and logical order being maintained. The emphasis of the review may shift, depending on the objective of the research and the role of the reviewer.
What Is a Book Review. Presenting Your Point
Before you start asking yourself how to write a book review, you need to remember:
- You are allowed to voice arguments and back up opinions with the parts of the text. However, the writers need to remember that it took time and effort to create the book from scratch. Try to be respectful in your judgment and do not give an excuse for the readers to say that you have been too harsh while reviewing someone’s work. We are not saying that the authors have to avoid criticisms by all means. After all, they are entitled to their own viewpoint. Fair treatment, on the other hand, is what every book deserves in the first place. The experts need to point out the weaknesses if there are any, but there is no use fuming about the book that did not live up to your expectations simply because it belongs to your least favorite genre.
- Try to keep the review as laconic as possible. Do not rely on lengthy statements with complicated terms that are hard to understand. Some of the readers that decide to take a look at your review want to find an entertaining piece of work that mentions the shortcomings while still managing to give the author fair praise. In addition, the concise structure of the paper allows the readers to see that you are in control and have managed to set the tone for the entire review.
- The writers need to challenge the ideas and assumptions, presented in fiction. However, they are also expected to back up their arguments and cite specific paragraphs so that their readers know that this is not just empty talk. One should not fall into the trap of being too precise with the literary review, but it’s better to keep in mind that you need to support assertions through the course of the work.
- The main goal is to present an idea that matters. Presenting an argument that is balanced and efficient may be a daunting task. On the one hand, the authors are entitled to have a strong voice and state disagreement if needed. However, the assessments that we are talking about deserve to be supported with the text samples so the readers don’t have an impression that you were not fair in your judgment.
- You are obligated to provide the audience with an opinion and learn from the best. If you don’t know where to start, you can always search for the samples of the book reviews that made a difference. Some of the great ones can be found in the annual book reviews. The writers will see how the professionals provide them with a detailed explanation of the story arc, author’s personal perspective and their overall attitude to the book. They do not simply give a generic revision of the work but manage to engage their readers with a structured essay that is meant to present a balanced opinion.
Introducing the Theme and Conducting Research
Many writers decide to entertain their readers from the very start and begin their review with a catchy phrase, an anecdote, or a newly coined term that resonates with the audience. You need to avoid clichés if you do not wish the review to be stale. The goal here is to deliver an argument in a succinct, condensed manner. The analysis of the work is generally structured into paragraphs that maintain a logical connection with one another. The delivery of the passages makes an impression on the audience that decides to base their opinion on the review that they have just studied. This is the reason your paper needs to be organized and contain arguments, supported by the original text.
There is no need to use citations every now and then. Instead, try to make the point of the author clear in your own words. If there is no specific requirement to maintain chronological order, you can work through the chapters freely. The fans of a structured paper may organize the points by methods, themes or other details from the book. However, the author needs to remain in the spotlight no matter what. After all, we are reviewing a book that is worth paying attention to. The evolution of the characters is another crucial point that you have to consider whenever you start writing a review. It may define the impression the readers get when they first study the structure of the paper.
Restating the thesis that has been mentioned in the beginning provides for the overall judgment of the book that is currently being examined. However, there is always a possibility to put new concepts into practice. If you feel like the speculations on the story arc are going beyond the traditional mode of the review, do not worry.
The course of your work will be appreciated by the fans of literature reviews that actually make sense. It is good to know that the author has managed to point out the shortcomings and advantages of the work of fiction without falling into a trap of clichés. Tropes are so common these days that it is no wonder so many people decide to put up with their excessive use in the composition. You may choose another option and structure your paragraphs in the correct order. This will help the readers find their way around the review and assess your opinion. The writers also need to mention:
- The argument of the book. You have to determine whether the writer had been following a certain idea or described the events in the chronological order. The arguments that are present in the work may help the readers get the essence of the book without the need to search between the lines. The writers also have to find a single idea that is manifested in the plot of the story and share it with the audience.
- The subject of the book. Covering the theme of the story is a challenge for any writer, so you need to make sure that the author has used proper methods to convey the idea to the audience. The storytelling techniques may differ, depending on the genre of the book, but the expert’s goal here is to present the arguments in a balanced manner. There are several ways to introduce a topic, and the writers are allowed to use all of them to make an impression.
- Supporting arguments. Some of the authors may use specific evidence to prove their point. The task of the writer is to define whether the arguments are eligible and relevant to the text. They may be in conflict with other works of fiction that you have read, but that doesn’t matter as long as you make a clear point and stick to the instructions. Emphasize how the arc of the book stands out compared to other literary pieces.
- Personal recommendations. Finally, the writers have to mention whether they would recommend the work of fiction to their target audience. By defining the genre of the book, one may suggest the groups of interest that might be excited to read it. Let's consider useful websites that provide book recommendations. It is good to remember that one cannot cover all the points in a single review, so try to make the arguments concise as you start writing.
Previous post: What Is Speech. Keep the Audience on Edge
Next post: Business Letter that Will Make an Impression